What are the Qualifications of a petitioner for Freemasonry in Tennessee?
Every petitioner for Freemasonry in Tennessee must have the following qualifications:
1. He must be a man.
2. He must believe in a supreme being and the immortality of the soul.
3. He must be of good morals and reputation.
4. He must be at least 18 years of age and mentally competent.
5. He must seek admission of his own free will and accord.
6. He must be recommended by two Masons of the Lodge to which he makes application.
7. He must be unanimously elected to membership.
8. He must be willing to assume an obligation to the fraternity, but will not be asked to swear profane oaths; he will not be asked to assume obligations which are incompatible with his religious or civil duties, and those duties which he owes to his family or his fellow man.
Why are Masons are forbidden to solicit petition for membership?
Every act a Mason performs, as a Mason or in the name of Masonry, is the result of his own free will and accord. Never is he told that he shall not do anything, except as it may be implied in the ritual or in the rules and regulation of the fraternity, which apply to all for the common good. Coercion is a word unknown in the parlance of Freemasonry.
It follows, therefore, that even a man’s first approach to Freemasonry’s portals must be upon the same basis-a voluntary act, unbiased by solicitation from any members. Thus he is prompted in his desire to be a mason only by a favorable opinion of the institution and is unbiased by friends and not influenced by unworthy motives. Every Mason, by example of his personal life and by acts performed of his own free will and accord, becomes a silent but active Masonic ambassador to the world at large. Thus and only thus can the fraternity attract desirable men to apply for membership.
If you have questions about Queen City Masonic Lodge No. 761 or Freemasonry in general, please read the About Us or FAQ sections. If you wish to inquire further about joining this Fraternity or have other questions, please contact us.